Research Groups and Laboratories
Department of OceanTechnology, Policy, and Environment
Ocean Environment Group
Our aim is to reinforce decision making for ocean utilization and marine environment creation by integrating current scientific knowledge and develop value-added information. Environmental impact assessment system will be established to accelerate environmentally-conscious ocean development through modeling of the standalone and integrated marine environments.
- Marine Environmental Modeling and Synthesizing
- Marine Environment Systems
- Applied Physical Oceanography
Ocean Utilization Group
Our aims are to develop policies, propose new business models, and foster innovation and industrialization in the following future technologies : highly-efficient ocean and sea bed resource development, low-emission maritime traffic, CCS, and ocean space utilization. Costs, benefits, human and environmental risks are evaluated.
- Ocean Technology Policy
- Ocean Industrial Science and Technology
- Integrated Marine-System Health Management
- Ocean Resource and Energy
- Seabed Resource Development
Ocean Sensing Technology Group
Our aim is to advance marine sensor technologies for the ocean surface, ocean interior, and sea bottom. Our professors are jointly appointed with the Institute of Industrial Sciences.
Marine Research and Development System Group
Our aim is to engage in global observational and simulation research through unique opportunities at Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology [JAMSTEC] using their extensive ocean observations and simulations. This is a joint program with JAMSTEC.
- Marine environment observational research for the Arctic Ocean
- Climate Prediction and Its Application