Ocean Information Systems
On-board investigations of the Arctic sea routes
Participation in the Japanese Antarctic Research Expedition, JARE
Optimum ship routing system with the uncertainty of ice information taken into account
About 10% of the world's ocean is covered by sea ice. Sea ice is known as a sensitive indicator of climate change. It plays an important role in the global climate system and has an impact on marine ecosystem. However, our knowledge on sea ice and ice-covered seas is still limited.
With recent reduction of sea-ice area especially in the Arctic, human activities in the polar ocean such as resource development and shipping have been turning into a reality. Now we should show the way of the development by synthesizing and analyzing the various kinds of ocean information, to achieve the sustainable use of polar seas.
Our laboratory is studying the way of sea-ice prediction and role of sea ice in the climate system by numerical modeling, field observation and satellite remote sensing. Also, based on those activities, we project the way of the comprehensive management of the ocean information.
- Ocean Information Systems
- Marine Environment Systems
- Applied Physical Oceanography
- Marine Environmental Modelling and Synthesizing
- Ocean Technology Policy
- Ocean Industrial Science and Technology
- Integrated Marine-System Health Management
- Ocean Resource and Energy
- Seabed Resource Development
- Marine environment observational research for the Arctic Ocean
- Climate Prediction and Its Application